Invisalign straightens your teeth without brackets and wires, using a series of clear, customized, removable retainer-like appliances called aligners. It’s virtually undetectable, which means hardly anyone will know that you’re straightening your teeth.
Invisalign clear aligners work by providing a light, gentle force on the teeth through a sequence of finely calibrated aligners. Aligners are switched out on a weekly basis, and recommended to be worn 22 hours per day; they are only taken out for eating and cleaning your teeth. As you advance aligners on a weekly basis, your teeth will move gradually, week by week, until the final pre-prescribed alignment is achieved.
Invisalign is now becoming a more popular option for many patients, and can be used for all ages. The orthodontists at Uptown Orthodontics have taken extensive training courses and are confident in their ability to straighten the majority of bites with this newer technology.
Uptown Orthodontics uses an iTero scanner to take a digital impression of the teeth. This advanced computer technology allows us to digitally simulate the alignment of teeth and to fabricate accurately fitting appliances.
At our office, treatment with Invisalign generally takes the same amount of time as traditional braces and also costs the same for most cases.
In order to be most effective, treatment with Invisalign often requires two very simple “extras”. These are only used as needed (as determined by our orthodontists) and are included within the cost of orthodontic treatment.
- Attachments – white filling material glued temporarily to the teeth (these act as clips to hold in the aligners and also as handles to help with more complex tooth movements)
- IPR – polishing of tight contacts between the teeth to allow freedom of movement and to improve tooth shape (sandpaper floss is used to temporarily open space to allow for faster and more predictable tooth movement)
Advantages of treatment with Invisalign include:
- longer interval between appointments
- shorter, simpler, and more comfortable appointments
- less risk of breakage leading to discomfort, dysfunction, or delay